Last Updated on
In this article, you will learn how to change network type from Public to Private or Domain in Window 10. Not to mention, you already know that. When you install Windows 10. It will automatically select the network type to Public. However, if you are working in business environment. Then, you batter know that. There are some restriction which will not let you to share files from one pc to another, if the network type is public. Therefore, we always find problem and there is no straight way to change network type from public to private or domain. However, don’t worry. I will show you the best methods where you can easily change your network type in windows 10 without too much hurdles.
Change Network Type From Public to Private?
You may have some question in your mind that why to change Network type from Public to Private? However, the simple answer is that. When you install Windows 10 very first time. The default network type is public. Which has some restrict rule on sharing and to transfer the files. Therefore, If you are working on office where you must share your files and device from one computer to another. Then, There should be more specific Network type. Which must help the user to operate without any problem. Therefore, it is essential most of the time to change the network type.
However, if you don’t know what is Public, Private and domain Network. Then below you will find complete details.
There are three network types in Windows 10. All of these network types have different usage. Which we are going to discuss in detail Below.
- Public Network
- Private Network
- Domain Network
1- Public Network
Public Network is the default network type. When you are going to install your windows 10. Therefore, it is one of the most restrictive network. Because, first time when windows will install in your computer. Then you may not want to share yor personal data with other users. Therefore, Microsoft has restricted the network to not share any of your credential data to anyone on the same network. However, in office and work place you don’t want the file to not be shareable. In this case, you have different network type which you are going to change. to Private or Domain etc.
2- Private Network
Private network is the one which is usable in Work Network. Where you have to share your date from one pc to another pc. Further, you can also share you devices. For example, if you want to share your printer. Then you can easily share it with all other employers. Moreover, you pc will be visit on all network. Therefore, if you have complete trust on your work Network. Then you have to change the pulic network to private network. Otherwise, you complete date will be vulnerable.
3- Domain Network
Domain Network is useful. When, there is administrator and the administrator has complete freedom to configure different users. Because, in domain network the pc will automatically detected by administration. When your computer is member of active directory domain network.
Therefore, the administrator will get authority and configure the firewall and security on the network using active directory group policy.
What is my Network type?
If you don’t know, that is your network type. Then there are many procedure where you can easily find your network in Windows 10. However, here we are going to use windows control panel to find the type of your network. For find it out. Follow the steps below.
1. Click on Start.
2. Then Type Control Panel and click on Control Panel.
3. Select the View by and change to to Large icons.
4. click on Network and Sharing Center.
5. Check Below your network name. You will see the Network Type.
This is how you will find out your default network. Remember that, when you install your windows first time the default network type is always public.
1. Change Network Type using PowerShell
Before to change network type in windows 10 using PowerShell. You must know that, What is PowerShell? PowerShell is defualt task-based command-line shell and scripting language built on .Net. Therefore, with simple line of code you can change and configure different setting easily. That is one of the best way to automate the task and manage operating systems. For example in Linux, MacOS and Windows.
Therefore with following steps, we are going to change network type using PowerShell
1. Click on Start.
2. Type PowerShell.
3. When you see the icon of PowerShell. Then right click on it and click on Run as Administrator.
4. You will get a window. Next run the following command
This is the command where you will get all the information about your network. In following, you will get the pattern like this one.
Name : Why-Fi
InterfaceAlias : Wi-Fi
InterfaceIndex : 5
NetworkCategory : Public
IPv4Connectivity : Internet
IPv6Connectivity : LocalNetwork
5. Here you have to note Name ( in my case that is Why-Fi). And the NetworkCategory.
6. For changing the Network from Public to Private you have to run the following command:
Set-NetConnectionProfile -Name Why-Fi -NetworkCategory Public
Here you have to setting.
- Why-Fi Change it to the name of your network
- Public change it to private
You have successfully changed your network Type from Public to Private. To check that again Run the following command. You will see the change.
2. Change Network Type using Registry
Windows Registry know as registry, is a collection of databases of windows configuration setting. These setting includes Kernel, devcies drivers, Services, security and user interface. All of these use registry.
Therefore, in following we are going to change network type using registry.
1. Click on start
2. Type regedit. You will get a window with different values.
3. You are go open these.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >> SOFTWARE >> Microsoft >> Windows NT >> CurrentVersion >> NetworkList >> Profiles
4. Under Profile you will find different section. However, you have to find the one where the name of your Network should be written.
5. Next you have to find Category
6. Double click on Catgory. You will get new window. There is box for Value data. Since it is 0. You have change the network typing in following
- 0 is the default network type which is Public.
- Change the value to 1 and the network type will change to Private.
- Changing the value to 2 will change the network type to Domain.
3. Change Network Type using Local Security Policy
Local Security policy is one the best method where you can easily change your network type from public to private. For doing so you have to follow these steps.
1. Go to start and type local Security Policy
2. click on Local Security Policy and you will get a window with different Security Setting.
3. Click on Network List Manager Policies.
4. On the right side you will get Network Name. Just find the network which you are using.
5. Double click on your network name and you will get new window
6. On the tab you will get Network Location. Click on it.
7. Here you have Location type. You have to click any one of that which you want. For example if you want Private or Public.
8. Finally press OK and you are done.
You have successfully change Network type from Public to private.
4. Change Network Type using Windows 10 Setting
Windows 10 one the best operating system. Therefore, Microsoft has included everything for users to work with comfort. Moreover, with following steps you can change network type using windows 10 setting directly.
1. Check the task bar. Where you can find either WiFi icon or Ethernet icon ( Looks like monitor).
2. Click on the icon and you will get an option Network and Internet Settings. Click on it.
3. A new setting window will open. You will see Change Connection Properties. Click on it.
4. Here is the Network Profile. Where you will get both options for public and private option. Therefore, select the one which you require.
You have successfully change you network type. We have explained the complete procedure step by step. I hope that you find it useful. However, If you have further, find any problem or you want to give your feedback. Please write that in comment box below.