In this article you will learn how to install macOS Catalina 10.15 on VirtualBox on Windows 10 PC. macOS Catalina is the latest version of mac operating system released by apple. Further, with the recent Catalina update there is paramount improvement on operating system. There are cool new features, fresh new app and powerful new technology. Therefore, testing and working on macOS Catalina is fun as well amazing experience. Moreover, you should understand and learn all the new feature before actually installing that on MacBook or iMac. You have to install that on virtual machine. For example, we are going to install macOS Catalina on VirtualBox on Windows 10 PC. Further, we will take you on all the steps where you should easily install the mac operating system.
Install macOS 10.15 Catalina on VirtualBox
There are different methods to install macOS 10.15 Catalina on Windows operating system. However, the most reliable and easy method is to install it on virtual machine. Virtual machine has many advantages. For example you don’t need actual Mac machine to test Mac operating system. Therefore, you will create a virtual environment and install and test the operating system before diving into it.
Similarly, there are two virtual machine for Windows 10. The first one is VirtualBox. The second one is VMware. These both virtual machine work great while installing macOS on Windows. There is no quite difference. However, most people used to VirtualBox and vice versa.
However, This tutorial we will particularly install Catalina on VirualBox. But, if you want to install that in VMware machine. Then you have to concern it There.
How to Install macOS Catalina on VirtualBox
Let’s instlal macOS catalina on VirtualBox. However, we need different software and file to download. Therefore, i will show comprehensive guide where you can understand which files and software you required. Further, from where you have to download all there files.
VirtualBox and Extension Pack
First you need to download VirtualBox. VirutalBox is virtualization program where you can install different operating system including Linux, Windows and macOS etc. Therefore, If you want to install all operating system on one machine. You can easily do that with VirtualBox.
Therefore, saying that VirtualBox is complete new operating system. As you may consider buying new Machine. Therefore, it is one of the best way to get one high configure machine and install as much as operating system on virtual machine as you want.
Further, VirtualBox integrate both operating system on single machine. Where you share and transfer file between both operating system. Therefore, to install macOS Catalina on virtualBox will give you pre experience to understand and learn about new features of operating system. Therefore, to enjoy the latest variation and new feature on your old machine. Even it doesn’t support is like a dreams come true.
finally, the new system USB will only support USB 3.0. However, if you install VirtualBox Extension Pack. Then it will fix the problem. Therefore, then you will be able to connect to the VirtualBox using USB 3.0 as well.
Download VirtualBox from the link Below.
Install VirtualBox on Windows 10
Once you have downloaded the VirtualBox on your Windows 10. Then you have to install that by following the steps below.
Step 1. When you will open the Oracle VM VirtualBox Setup. It will open a step us wizard. Therefore, the first page which you will see is Welcome Page. Therefore, you Only click on the button Next.
Step 2. Further, in second page you will get a information where you should install the software. However, you should remember that it requires at least 169MB of free space on hard drive. Therefore, once you have select the location for the virtualBox. Then you have to click on Next.
Step 3. Similarly, next page will display to select the way you want features to be installed. There are option like
- Create Start Menu entries
- Create shortcut on the desktop
- Register file associations.
- Create shortcut in the Quick Launch Bar
There are checkbox in front of each option. Therefore, you have to select according to your requirement and then Press Next.
Step 4. In this steps. It will ask about to install the Oracle VM VirualBox Networking Features. Therefore, simply click on Yes.
Step 5. Finally, the step is ready to begin. Therefore, you have to click on Install. The installation will start. Then you have to wait for the moment until installation finishes.
In between it may ask about User Account Control. It means the VirtualBox needs permission to run the application windows. Therefore, you have to click on Yes.
Now you are ready to start and run the VirtualBox Machine.
Install VirtualBox Extension Pack
Now it is time to install VirtualBox Extension pack. For that you have to download the extension from the link below.
Then open the application and click to install the extension pac on your VirtualBox
Download macOS Catalina Image
To download image you have to click the link Below.
Once you have successfully install VirtualBox on Windows 10. Now you are ready to to configure the perfect setting to install macOS Catalina on VirtualBox.
When you will open VirtualBox. There is a New Button on the top left corner. Therefore, You have to click on It. Then a wizard page will open. Which will take you to all other setting. Therefore, with the help of this wizard page. You can easily understand complete procedure without any problem. However, I will also take you on each page and give you proper guide.
New in VirtualBoxTherefore, you have to follow the steps below for the configuration.
Step 1. MacOS Name: Catalina
On the first page you will see Name and operating system. Therefore, there are information like
- Name: Here you have to write the name of the Operating system. For example I will write macOS Catalina.
- Type: As you know that the type of operating system is Mac OS. Therefore, you have to select from the drop down menu Mac OS X.
- Version: You may or may not see the current version of mac operating system. However, don’t worry about that. You should select the version like macOS High Sierra 64-bit. But, remember i will complete work fine while. You will install macOS Catalina.
Once you have complete all these field. Then you have to click on Next.
Step 2. Memory Size
I the second page you will have to properly select the memory size of the new macOS Catalina operating system. Remember that this memory is for RAM. Therefore, you have to select the half (50%) of your complete memory to the VirtualBox. Because, once you will install the operating system. Then you will find that it will run without any lag. Therefore, if you want the macOS Catalina run smoothly. Then, you must have complete of 16GB of ram and share 8GB to VirtualBox.
Memory SizeAfter, you have selected the half of the memory. Then you have to click on Next.
Step 3. Hard Disk Selection
In this page you have to select the Hard Disk. There are three options.
- Do not add a virtual hard disk
- Create a virtual Hard disk now
- Use an existing virtual hard disk file.
We are going to select the Use an existing virtual hard disk file. As you have already download the macOS Catalina vmdk file. Therefore, you have to select that and click on Create. However, remember that you window machine must have minimum of 20GB free space on hard disk.
macOS Catalina VirtualBox Setting
Once you have successfully configured virtaulbox. Now it is the time to change and more setting after creating virtualbox. Therefore, follow the steps below.
Step 1: Setting
On virtualBox left side you will see the operating system Catalina which you have recently created. You have to select it. Then click on Setting.
Step 2: System Setting
There are many setting. On the left side you will see some setting information. However, first you have to click System. Further, you will find different other configuration for the system.
- Make sure you have selected MotherBoard. Then follow the steps below.
- The the Optical.
- Select Hard Disk
- Chipset should be ICH9
- Pointing Device must be USB Tablet
- Select Enable I/O APIC
- Enable EFI (special OSes only)
- Select Hardware Clock in UTC Time
- Now you have to select Processor tab. Then following configuration.
- Processor: It should be half (50%) of your complete core
- Execution Cap: Take the roller to 100%
- Extended Features: Make sure to check Enable PAE/NX
Step 3: Display
Similarly, you have to select Display on left hand side menu. Then you will find different configurations.
- Video memory: You have to take the roller to maxium. In my case i have selected 128MB.
- Monitor: It should be 1
- Sacale Factor: It should be 100%
- Acceleration: Let the 2D and 3D video Acceleration uncheck.
Step 4: Storage
On the storage tab you have to make sure that Use Host I/O Cache is selected.
Add code to VirtualBox with Command Prompt
You have almost completed every single setting. However, there is only one more modification. Where you can edit and ready for the installation.
For the editing the file you have to open the command prompt. Remember before starting command prompt. You are to close VirtualBox. Further, your have to write CMD on search box. Then you will get command prompt icon right click on it and click on “Run as administrator”.
When the command prompt opens. Then you can write one by one each of the commands in below. Moreover, remember that change “Your VM Name” with your Virtual Machine Name which you have name it while configuring.
Code for VirtualBox 5.X
cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\"
VBoxManage.exe modifyvm "Your VM Name" --cpuidset 00000001 000106e5 00100800 0098e3fd bfebfbff
VBoxManage setextradata "Your VM Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "iMac11,3"
VBoxManage setextradata "Your VM Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0"
VBoxManage setextradata "Your VM Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Iloveapple"
VBoxManage setextradata "Your VM Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc"
VBoxManage setextradata "Your VM Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1
Code for VirtualBox 4.X
cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\"
VBoxManage.exe modifyvm "Your Virtual Machine Name" --cpuidset 00000001 000306a9 04100800 7fbae3ff bfebfbff
VBoxManage setextradata "Your Virtual Machine Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "MacBookPro11,3"
VBoxManage setextradata "Your Virtual Machine Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0"
VBoxManage setextradata "Your Virtual Machine Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Iloveapple"
VBoxManage setextradata "Your Virtual Machine Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc"
VBoxManage setextradata "Your Virtual Machine Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1
Install macOS Catalina on VirtualBox
Further, open VirtualBox and click on Start. When VirtualBox will start, you will see UEFI Interactive Shell. Then you have to press ESC button. Now you have to type the following code in shell and press Enter. Remember, you have to write that without quotation.
Its time to install macOS Catalina on VirtualBox. Everything is configured and you are ready to install the macOS Catalina operating system. Follow the steps below for installing macOS Catalina on VirtualBox.
1. Click on the created VirtualBox. And it will start. Furhter, after sometime when everything will load then the first screen will appears. It is the welcome screen. And it will ask about your country. Therefore, select a country and press on Continue.
2. Next screen will ask you about to Choose a keyboard layout. Select U.S and click on Continue.
3. In this screen you will ask about the Data and Privacy. Therefore, read it carefully and the click on Continue.
4. Further, this wizard will ask you about Transfer Information to This Mac. It will ask that how do you want to transfer your information? Check the box on Don’t transfer any information now. and click on continue.
5. At this stage, it will ask you about your Apple ID. As you know that with the help ID you can use many feature of macOS. Therefore, if you have any apple ID enter it. But, for you I will select Set UP Later and click on Continue.
6. Finally, it will ask about Term and conditions. Simply click on Agree.
7. Create A computer Account. Fill out the following information to create your computer account.
- Full Name: Write you name.
- Account Name: It will select automatically.
- Password: write your password to log in in your mac. There password may be thing. Further, write same password in verify too.
- Hint: write something memorable about your password. When you forget your password. The the hint will help you to find it back.
- Finally, Press on Continue.
8. on the page of Express Set Up just click on Continue.
Congratulation you have done great job. Now it is time to explose macOS catalina on VirtualBox on Windows 10.
Also check How to Install macOS Catalina on VMware
Install macOS Catalina on VirtualBox Video
Still you have problem installing macOS Catalina on VirtualBox. Then watch the video below. Where I will take you on all steps visually. Therefore, you will not face any problem to install macOS Catalina.
Conclusion: I hope you have successfully install macOS Catalina on VirtualBox. However, if you find any problem then you can write in comment box below. We will be more then happy to help you. Thank you.